PolskiEnglish (United Kingdom)

Attention: open in a new window. Print

 

 

 

The city of Zabrze is located in the southwest of Poland, in the Silesian Province, and it covers the area of 80.40 km2. In this area, there is the population of about 185 thousand.

Already in the early 1990s, most residents of Zabrze made their incomes by working in local mines, coke plants, steel works and associated large industrial plants. Today, there is only one mine and one coke plant left on the edges of the city. In the same locations, a lot of dynamically developing companies were established: production, sales and service enterprises which have substantially changed the city’s panorama. Investments have become the key to the development of Zabrze.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWNMceK1fdw

In the city, there are well-known and respected scientific centres, such as the Institute for Chemical Processing of Coal, the Institute of Environmental Engineering of the Polish Academy of Sciences and the Silesian Centre for Heart Diseases. There are also branches of public higher education institutions in Zabrze, e.g. the Medical University of Silesia, the Silesian University of Technology and the Jerzy Kukuczka Academy of Physical Education.

On the outskirts of the city there is the largest motorway junction in Poland. A-1 motorway connecting Polish coast with southern border and A-4 motorway connecting Western Europe with Ukraine. Also major part of central motorway Drogowa Trasa Średnicowa which provides excellent connection of the city with the Silesian Agglomeration is already completed.

The city has direct railway connections with Katowice, Warsaw, Poznań, Wrocław, Gdańsk, Gdynia, Kołobrzeg and Krakow.

Biskupice is the oldest settlement in the city. The discovery of rich deposits of hard coal between Pawłów and Zaborze in 1790 by Salomon Isaac of Brabant was an important event in the history of Zabrze and surrounding areas. Coal extracted there from 1791 gave rise to the establishment of „Królowa Luiza” mine but was also the beginning of the development of various industry branches and rapid changes in the landscape of this part of Silesia.

In 1826 the properties in Zabrze came into the hands of the Donnersmarck family who contributed to the region’s industrial development. In the period 1818-1819 and 1829–1830 a 20-kilometre road was built to connect the royal steel works in Gliwice with the steel works “Królewska Huta” in what is today Chorzów. The road once called “Kronprinzenstrasse” (currently ul. Wolności) soon became the „backbone” of industry.
Further economic development was due to the construction of a railway to Wrocław and Mysłowice, which enabled quick dispatch of coal, products manufactured in Zabrze and neighbouring areas and importation of necessary raw materials.